Thai protesters mass again despite violence

Thai protesters mass again despite violence
A large number of Thai protesters took to the streets of Bangkok on Wednesday despite the worst violence found in months of demonstrations your day before, when law enforcement fired normal water cannon and tear gas and in least 55 people were hurt.

Youth-led protests since July have grown to be the biggest challenge to the establishment in years with their demands for the ousting of Primary Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, a fresh constitution and reforms to curb the monarchy's powers. "We will withstand peacefully," Panusaya "Rung" Sithijirawattanakul informed the protest in central Bangkok. "The make use of force on persons and youths is not appropriate." In parliament, where lawmakers voted on seven options for ways to transformation the constitution, a proposal that could have opened the way for debate of the monarchy's position failed to win enough votes for approval. Two proposals were followed that would enable discussion of constitutional transformation without influencing the monarchy of King Maha Vajiralongkorn. "We won't touch on that," explained Wirat Ratanaset, from the ruling coalition.

The vote was not a surprise. Prayuth's supporters have many in the parliament, where the complete upper home Senate was appointed by the junta he led after a 2014 coup until a disputed election this past year.

 Protesters battled their way to the gates of parliament on Tuesday, after law enforcement repeatedly employed tear gas and water cannon to attempt to push them back again. Protesters also scuffled with yellow-shirted royalist counter-protesters.

Bangkok's Erawan Medical Center said at least 55 persons were hurt, with 32 experiencing tear gas and six with gunshot wounds. Law enforcement said that they had confirmed two gunshot wounds and were investigating further.

Deputy Primary Minister Prawit Wongsuwan told reporters the government was sorry persons were hurt and wanted protests to stay peaceful.

There was no immediate sign of trouble on Wednesday, but protesters brought along the inflatable pool ducks that they have used as shields against police water cannon and tear gas. Police said a lot more than 6,000 persons were at the protest. 
Tags :
Share This News On: